The Liv-ex Fine Wine 1000 tracks 1,000 wines from across the world using the Liv-ex Mid Price. It is calculated monthly.
The Liv-ex Fine Wine 1000 is comprised of seven sub-indices which represent regions from around the world.
Wines that make up the component indices:
- Bordeaux 500: the ten most recently physical vintages for 50 top Bordeaux chateaux (2006-2015)
- Bordeaux Legends 50: a selection of 50 Bordeaux wines from exceptional older vintages (from 1982)
- Burgundy 150: the ten most recently physical vintages for 15 white and red Burgundy, including six Domaine Romanée Conti labels
- Champagne 50: the most recently physical vintages for 12 Champagnes
- Rhone 100: the ten most recently physical vintages for five Southern and five Northern Rhone wines
- Italy 100: the ten most recently physical vintages for the five ‘Super Tuscans’ and five other leading Italian producers.
- Rest of the World 50: the ten most recently physical vintages for five wines from Spain, Portugal, the USA, and Australia.
Download the full list of components here.
How the Index is calculated
- In order to qualify for the index, wines must have attracted a regular market on Liv-ex. They must also be physically available in the UK market, so recent vintages that are only trading on an En Primeur basis are ineligible. The wines included in the index are reviewed on a quarterly basis by committee.
- The Liv-ex 1000 is calculated using the Liv-ex Mid Price for each component wine. The Mid Price is the most robust measure for pricing wines available in the market and is calculated by finding the midpoint between the current highest bid price and lowest offer price on the Liv-ex trading platform. Each price is then verified by our valuation committee to ensure that the number is robust after taking into account all data at our disposal, including merchant offer prices and historical Liv-ex transaction prices.
- Each component is reflected by one 12×75 case, with the exception of Domaine Romanée Conti (primarily a bottle market) where each component has been reflected by one 75cl bottle.
- The index is price weighted at launch as follows: Bordeaux 500 – 46%; Bordeaux Legends 50 – 22%; Burgundy 150 – 14%; Champagne 50 – 3%; Rhone 100 – 4%; Italy 100 – 7%; Rest of the World 50 – 4%.